Tuesday, October 30, 2007

rare

I often forget to be thankful for all the time I have to spend with children and teenagers. Every day after school, it's my 'job' to hang out with kids, or teach young teens how to run their own business, or help a 4th grader with multiplication homework. And I do love it. I love them. And sometimes, I catch a glimpse of their world. I see it through their eyes. I hear their perspective and can understand just a bit more clearly what they experience and how that is constantly and unnoticably shaping them.

The other day, I had this rare glimpse into the world of the 7th grader. There are two 7th graders involved in my after-school business program. I pick them up from school twice a week, and transport them to our ministry's youth center. I am beginning to love those conversations. Not because of what I can say, or how I direct it, but because of the kids' plain honesty and genuiness.

They tell me about their day. They laugh about funny situations. They complain about teachers. They tell me weird dreams they remember from the night before. They tell me the first thing they'll do when they get home. And my all-time favorite discussion topic: they ask how to pronounce words that they're learning from health class. They spelled out some of the words from their lesson on the human body and sexuality...and I couldn't help but giggle. It's like I'm transported back into junior high, and I feel just as uncomfortable as they do (maybe more?). Ah, the privileges of spending time with kids...

1 comment:

Raleigh said...

I've been hanging out with a 14-year old and doing some goalie training with her... man, conversations with teens can be awkward. but they are funny. the teens. and their conversations. glad you enjoy it. =)