Sunday, August 31, 2008

my other family

I feel like I have lots of family, when it comes right down to it. Both my sisters and my brother married wonderful people, and along with those fantastic brother and sister-in-laws comes some amazing families. This weekend, I spent the holiday visiting my brother-in-law's family. They have a reunion in Kentucky every Labor Day weekend, and I love joining his family for the celebration. His family makes me feel at home here in the mountains.

This year was the 100 year celebration of his family reunion, and lots of stories were shared about God's faithfulness throughout the years. It wasn't even my family, and my eyes got watery. There's just something to be said for generations of lives being changed because of the faith of one or two people.

I held my 2-month old nephew in my arms throughout one of the services (they have church services all weekend long too - it's half reunion, half revival, really) and was reminded of just how good God is. He's been so good to my family. When I look at my own heritage, I can see the examples of faith in action in my grandparents, my parents, my sisters and brother. They live out his love.

I remember when my sister gave me a journal for my birthday when I was a young teenager. In it she wrote, "Merilee, if I could give you one gift, it would be time spent with God. -Kari" I have always felt that my family's deepest desire for me was that I would know and serve God. And for that I am thankful. So thankful.

No comments: