Monday, April 21, 2008

Kale, anyone?

Usually my diet consists of whatever I already know how to cook. New dishes are a challenge, mentally, for me. And my objections are always the same.
  1. I don't have time to learn something new.
  2. What if I don't like it? Then my use of my time in the evening will be inefficient to some degree.
  3. My body needs vitamins, minerals, protein, fat, carbs, etc. What my taste buds need are another matter entirely, and they don't rule my life. Except when it comes to sweets. Then they do have the final say.

I've recently mastered this good dish - black beans with brown rice, and some sauteed green peppers, onions, and cheese on top. Basic. Simple. Cheap. Filling. With good protein too.

But...I am seeking to live better. So, in an effort to expand my horizons, sharpen my skills, and prepare for the possibility of ever having a family or husband who doesn't only want to eat beans and rice every meal, I am seeking out new veggies and foods in general to make.

I'm open to recipes and suggestions, any and all. I'm especially looking for great vegetable side dishes, or ways to make funky foods more enjoyable, or great ideas for cooking meat. My only requirement is that it be low in sugar (No desserts, I'm a Newsham, I know how to deal in chocolates pretty well already), high in vitamins and overall nutritional value.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how to cook or steam kale or asparagus in a way that makes them really tasty without adding a slab of butter?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Okay here it goes: for both vegies, heat olive oil low medium on stove top. Take a bunch of garlic (4 cloves) don't burn it, but cook in olive oil lightly. Throw in your asparagus very shortly (roll it as you cook) until it is bright green. Then eat it. Do same for Kale but cook longer, because it is tougher. Don't forget to salt it for taste as you cook the vegies. Enjoy!

Merilee said...

Thanks Leslie! I will try that tomorrow night - Kale is back on the menu (it kinda got kicked off the show for a bit because my first experience with it wasn't great).

Raleigh said...

yes, pan sautee or oven roast asparagus. olive oil, salt, pepper. plus, calli and i really enjoy cooking light magazine. we could send you some old ones, if you want, or their website is quite astounding.