Monday, March 10, 2008

Round 3!

It may seem absurd, but I entered a local boxing competition this weekend and fought in my first boxing fight ever. The cash prize for winning the lightweight female division was $500, so I decided to give it a whirl and see what happened.



I'm not fully convinced that I ever want to box again. It was tough. My body was sore afterwards. And I didn't win the $500. Am I glad I fought? Absolutely. It was an adventure that I never imagined I would ever take.



Scroll down to the first video under the blog title "Incarnational Living" to watch a round of my first fight. And then follow the videos up for the next 3 rounds of fight 2. It isn't pretty, but really, when is boxing ever pretty?



And don't tell my mom.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my word!! I totally thought you were kidding at first, but I recognize your shorts, so you're actually not kidding. I've got to tell your brother!

big bro said...

I love you lil' sis! Keep your chin up. Or is it "keep your chin down"?!!

Raleigh said...

wow. i think that effectively ended any of my notions of boxing someday. i am very impressed, beans. you rocked it. and got rocked, a little. no shame, though, in losing to a real boxer!

Sherri J said...

That's awesome Merilee! You're so cool!

Mike and Amanda said...

Um...I'm a little dumbfounded. Our Beanie...Boxing! Has this been a lifelong dream or something? Did you just decide to go up there when the girl asked if there was someone that wanted to fight her? I only ask because....SIGN ME UP!!!!! That was AWESOME. I'm proud of you Beanie! ~Goods

Mike said...

Mer-

I couldn't believe this was true, so I had to log on and see it...awesome! By the way...from a guy who has been in the ring...you did fantastic. I can't believe you got in there against a professional fighter with no training! It was like watching Rocky-ette ;-)

You are absolutely amazing, Merilee.

Mike