Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Appalachian Economics

I think I take it for granted most days how cheap I can live in West Virginia. Most people might find the economic situation of my community distressed and in poverty, (and it is for most practical purposes, of course. Many people here live well below the U.S. poverty line. But it is relative too. In the global picture, West Virginians are rich compared to the people of Bangladesh...) Perhaps what I am saying is that sometimes having more isn't better. It's just more.

Tomorrow, I'm hiring 2 local guys to help shovel some more coal for me to last the rest of Spring. The total cost of their 1 1/2 hours labor for my 2 months worth of heat? $40 (a fair local wage).

I know people here that bought their house for $6000. That's it. And they bought the house recently, not 50 years ago. $6000 for a house. Wow.

I know families that have gotten by on $400-$500 monthly income. Just enough for the necessities, but nothing left over.

My auto mechanic helped me change my oil filter yesterday (it was screwed on so tight) and wouldn't even take my money. One time, he changed my brake pads, brake shoes, and rotors all for under $200 (which I thought was a good deal.)

I know that my community is still an under-resourced, job scarce, disadvantaged place to live. But it is a place where having the latest television would never compare to having good friendships. Around here, that's priceless.

2 comments:

Melissa/Mel said...

hey, are you going to pay me for the coal digging i did? :)

Merilee said...

uhhhh...
i thought that was a gift. Because you are my friend. And friends give gifts. Without strings. Without expectations. Without...how 'bout if i visit you we call it even?