Sunday, December 2, 2007

Getting into the season

I don't know why exactly, but I've never had a Christmas tree since moving to West Virginia. Maybe the fact that I'm always gone from my house over the Christmas holidays has kept me from wanting a tree. Maybe it's the fact that trees are always more fun with kids and families to share it with. Maybe I'm slightly cynical when it comes to holiday decor (do you see inflatable santas in every yard where you live too?). But this Christmas season, I took the plunge and bought a tree.

The best part about it was being able to pick it out at the tree farm and cut it down myself. Close to gathering my own firewood (which I'm planning on doing sometime soon) or digging my own coal (I leave that up to the miners), cutting my own tree has renewed my heart - I'm officially 'festive.'

Next year, I might even put up lights around my house. It's a slippery slope, those holiday decorations...

1 comment:

Raleigh said...

we have a tree, too. (he's a tiny thing.) but we aren't yet feeling the need to put reindeer statues in our front yard, like our neighbor.