Monday, January 14, 2008

new music

It's been a while since I've last posted...sorry about that, faithful readers.

I received some new music over the holidays that I'm really loving. Sandra McCracken put out a new album called The Builder and the Architect which is a collection of old hymns put to new music. Simple, pure, folksy sounding - it's beautiful, really.

And I also am listening to Derek Webb's latest CD The Ringing Bell, that's ever so provocative, edgy, and true. One of the lyrics to his songs states, "there's a time for peace, there is a time for war, there's a time to forgive and a time to settle the score, a time for babies to lose their lives, a time for hunger and genocide...and this too shall be made right."

It's rare that you listen to a entire album and like/appreciate every song. I'd have to say that for both of these cds, that is the case indeed. And I'm loving it.

3 comments:

Raleigh said...

i had been anticipating your post! derek webb sure is edgy... he writes such challenging music. it kind of makes me uncomfortable, but i think that is good.

Merilee said...

yeah, i agree rals. his album mockingbird is also on my favorite list, it was my first intro into how raw his music is...

"when justice is bought and sold like weapons of war, oh the ones who always pay are the poorest of the poor."

mel's gotta friend named kyle scott whose lyrics are similiar, raw, hard but true. his blog is kyscott.blogspot.com and maybe his music can be found from there

Raleigh said...

i think i like kyle, from his blog. and music. and i have another friend named kyle whom i really like.