Monday, May 24, 2010

my new mentors

Here's a short list of my current teachers (they probably don't know it though):
  • Eugene Peterson: prolific author, theologian, teacher, pastor...he wrote a book called Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places that beautifully reconnected me to some of Christianity's strongest themes: sabbath and rest, communion, community, and calling. I'm reading the next book in that series: Eat this Book. So far it delivers what it promises.
  • John Muir: environmentalist, scientist, the original backpacker, and writer. I recently started reading a compilation of his writings. You know somebody loves the earth when a whole chapter is devoted to the Douglas Squirrel (and it's not boring!). Thanks to his (and Theodore Roosevelt's) idea of a national park system, I've seen and hiked in some of the most beautiful spots in America.
  • My sister's family: Living with this family of 7 (2 parents plus 5 kids!) is a constant and true framework on how to live a life of authentic love in the common daily ordinary activities.

No comments: