Thursday, March 4, 2010

Church

As I try to find a place, a people, a community of worship, I thought I'd share a few things I've noticed...

  • Most churches, in mid-Michigan anyway, are excited to have visitors (which also means that it might not be the norm)
  • People ages 20-35 do not go to church. Unless they have kids. Then they're definitely there. But unmarried adults or young married adults without kids are not a high attending group. (Maybe that's why they were so excited to have me...)
  • I need to give up on Sunday school. I kept hoping I would find a class, but I think Sunday school classes for people like me were abandoned when people like me also stopped going to church. Small groups during the week, however, are a very real possibility.
  • In visiting 5 area churches, I have always been greeted. But I think what's been even more powerful were the times when people just came up to me and introduced themselves and started conversation. That's beautiful, I think. And it's happened at almost every single one of the churches I've visited.
One thing that really surprises me is how at home I feel in the body of Christ in any church here. I mean, they're still strangers, but brother and sister strangers at that. It's been a really good, meaningful adventure in finding a local church.

And while I still haven't found a brick and mortar building that will be my particular church home for ever more, I am beginning to find and know a people to whom I can belong to. A community. A worshipping throng. A few sisters and brothers. Some sacred place and people. Or however one might describe Church.

No comments: