Monday, May 26, 2008

Fear

Nobody likes to admit fear. It feels weak, and sometimes just downright silly. I have a friend who's a bit fearful of rollercoasters (okay, it's me). Once during college, I got on a rollercoaster at King's Island and didn't think I was gonna make it. You know that first part of the ride that takes unsuspecting passengers up a slow, creeping ascent into the clouds right before it plunges back down toward earth? I was panicking on the inside during that part. I wanted to get out. But that seemed even more dangerous. So I stayed in. And I made it through. I think I rode on more rollercoasters that day, having worked through that silly fear. It's amazing how strong fear is.

I swam in the New River Gorge today. I was very afraid, very apprehensive. (I'll have you know, it is the same river that people go white water rafting down...and they have to wear helmets!) I think it was the unknown that I was most afraid of. Can I make it? Will I get really tired? Am I going to accidently swim into rocks? How cold is 60 degrees really? And I tried not to listen to those questions. They would only be answered by doing it. By swimming.

A friend came with me to swim, and I think that was what helped me the most. As we stood chest deep in the water, he said, "Ready?" In my head, I thought "never." But my mouth said "okay." I listened to my mouth and arrived on shore 30 minutes and 1.5 miles of water later. No longer afraid. No more unknowns. Yeah for having a friend along to battle your fears!

3 comments:

Raleigh said...

a mile and a half!? who are you? i feel the need to go skydiving (major fear) or let a tarantula crawl on me (huge arachnophobia) just to keep up with you.
she boxes, she swims miles in wild rivers... she's the incredible beanie!

Anonymous said...

you make me feel like i'm lacking in the adventure department. although initially teaching freshmen may sound like an adventure it's really not...

Leslie said...

Go Merilee! Way to face your fears and tear up the gorge!